Like an Amish, November 15

Through my host I had the opportunity to get to know an Amish community. Last Thursday I drove to my hosts farm where me and my host had supper. Friday we woke up at 5am to have breakfast and to drive to the Amish farm. We have offered them earlier to help them work on the farm and thats what we did on this Friday.
24°Fahrenheit = ~-4°Celsius, at my hosts farm

The Amish people live completely without electricity but not without mechanics, which makes a huge difference. They farm with the use of horses and diesel motors, which is a big advantage to farming without. I would estimate that they live (and dress) like people did 80 to 100 years ago, just without using the electricity.


They farm lots of corn, vegetables and fruits. The also have around 150 chicken and sell the organic eggs. Also they eat the chicken. Furthermore they have around 50 cows and they milk them every night by hand. In the morning the milk truck comes to get the fresh milk. It is further used for making cheese.
At exactly 12 o' clock we had our lunch. It was a very big meal and everything was homemade: chicken, mashed potatoes, sauces, broccoli, sauerkraut, beans...
and for dessert there was an apple cake, a pie, yoghurt (pudding), apples, whipped cream, ...
It was a very good meal and it really reminded me of my mama's food in Germany. I miss it so much :)

Harvesting the corn


Strong horses to pull whatever you need

The language the Amish are talking is a German dialect somewhere from Saarland I think. I can understand it but it is difficult sometimes. Mostly we talked in English though. The family consists of 12 persons. The father and mother and 10 children. From the age of 6 to 15 the kids have to go to a small school, which is specially for the Amish. For example they have German class each Friday.
The German books they have are written in old style letters and use old grammar (I have seen their Bible (Die Heilige Schrift) and another book about writing styles).
As far as I could tell, they were on a very educated level. They know about History, Calculate and Mechanics. They also get a weekly (English) newspaper. For example they repair their motors, wheels, and machines all by themselves.
How to make a wheel
Tools 
Tools

I am very thankful for being able to have lived with them for a whole day. Not many have the opportunity to do so. Also not many English (the Amish call non-Amish English) have the possibility to have a meal with Amish people.

Fun Fact: In winter the Amish ski down a hill for fun !